Sometimes the solution becomes part of the problem. This happens in programming when a patch to fix a security bug inadvertently creates a bigger security hole. It sort of happened today with the Tire Minder. The TM is the solution, but its installation introduced a problem as noted below.
Our first experience with TireMinder started out with an issue that we were able to rectify. On the interior rear tires on the MB 3500 Chassis, we learned that it is best to remove the plastic extenders before installing the transmitters. We’re headed to Austin on a weekend trip and just south of Dallas, about 25 miles into the trip, the TM alarm on both interior rear tires went off. Well, at least we know the alarm works–but the fact that they both went off suggested a false alarm.
The tire pressure on both decreased to about 42 PSI from their normal 55-60 PSI. Turns out, when wrestling to get the TM transmitters on the valve stem, both of the plastic extenders were loosened. It took 25 miles of driving to jiggle the loosened extenders to where they were slowly releasing air from the actual valve stems. It happened at about the same which was coincidental, perhaps. We pulled over in Lancaster Texas and struggled to get the air hose nozzle to sit on the interior tire valve stems (sans the extenders), and got the tires back up to about 58 PSI (60 according to the nozzle pressure gauge). Now in Austin, the pressure held on all tires at their recommended PSI. The temps of the tires are at 102-104 F (outside temp 96 F.)
All’s well that ends without a tire blow-out.